The Certificate of Competence in Oral Health Education and Promotion is suitable for registered dental nurses (including orthodontic nurses) who want to provide oral health education and promotion – in clinic and in community – unsupervised and as part of direct access. The certificate is an alternative to the NEBDN qualification. We recommend completing the NEBDN qualification if you are planning to apply to university to study dental hygiene. The theory is the same for both but the Record of Competence and certificate is different.
The certificate will be awarded upon successful completion of Modules 1–7 (please purchase and complete prior to starting the assessments), two online tests and the Record of Competence (RoC). It enables oral health educators to work unsupervised. This includes direct access oral health sessions with patients.
The aim of completing this Record of Competence (RoC) is to demonstrate your ability to provide oral health education and promotion to a range of patients on a variety of oral health topics, both within the dental practice and in the wider community.
By the time you have completed the RoC, you will:
Be confident in providing appropriate oral health advice to a range of patients, on a range of topics, in a one-to-one session.
Be confident in providing oral health promotion in a group setting.
Be able to identify barriers to good oral health faced by patients and patient groups, and be knowledgeable on ways of overcoming these barriers.
Be able to create your own resources for use in oral health promotion.
The RoC consists of the following five parts:
Part 1 – In clinic OHE appointments.
Part 2 – Display.
Part 3 – Resources.
Part 4 – Group sessions.
Part 5 – Course feedback and signed/completed witness list.
General dental practice
Specialist orthodontic practice only
- Certificate of Competence in Oral Health Promotion
- Record of Competence Instructions: Objectives
- Record of Competence Instructions: RoC sections
- Record of Competence Instructions: Before you start the RoC
- DNN OHE ROC Instructions
- Part 1: In-clinic OHE appointments
- Witness guidance and information
- Part 1 – In clinic OHE appointments template visit 1
- Part 1 – In clinic OHE appointments template visit 2
- Part 2: Displays
- Display submission form
- Part 3: Creating resources
- Submission form
- Part 4: Group sessions
- Group session plan
- Part 4 assessment template
- Part 4 Group Session Participant Feedback form
- Supervisor Witness Signature
- Course feedback submission form
- DoH OHE Toolkit
- DoH Toolkit Quiz - Complete after reading DoH Oral Health Toolkit